Waylon’s been begging me to bake a pie for him and I’m not a baker #notmygifting… I will attempt it some day but I’ll probably have to set a whole weekend a side to tackle that task. I got savvy and decided that these monster rice crispy treats would be much easy and less intimidating to make and it was. Although I must disclaim that I tried making them from scratch first and I used the wrong kind of spatula #plastic, which resulted in bits of melted plastic mixing with the marshmallows and me yelling, “don’t eat that!” The next day I hacked the heck out of this recipe and decided to just buy the rice crispy treats prepackaged and in 15 minutes we had ourselves some monster treats! Here’s what you need and how to hack it!
What you need:
- Rice Crispy Treats (pre-made or you can make them)
- Vanilla Melting Wafers
- Food Coloring
- Candy Eyeballs
- Have your kiddos help unwrap the rice crispy treats and lay them out on a pan or parchment paper.
- In 3-4 separate bowls melt the vanilla wafers in the microwave for 30 minutes.
- Add food coloring. For pastel colors add less coloring and more wafers.
- Dip the square treats into the colored melts and then have your kids add the eyeballs however they want.
- Let cool and then serve.
Those candy eyeballs are tempting… my boys wanted to inhale them!
Waylon absolutely loved unwrapping these with me and I had flashback to watching “Charlie and the Chocolate Factory” when I was little pretending that I might open up a bar and find and golden ticket.
Bonus I taught Waylon that mixing red and blue together makes purple!