But you might not need to do a do-over because there are so many ways to make someone feel special while in quarantine.
Our son Waylon turned 8 on March 27th and we had to cancel all birthday plans which included staying at the Legoland Castle Hotel (he’s been waiting a year of this) and all parties and celebrations with friends and family. For a child this is a huge deal so I started thinking outside the birthday box for ways we could make him feel special on his day.
I saw a video on Instagram of little boy looking out his front door as cars drove by and waved at him for his birthday. I immediately texted Waylon’s friends and family and asked them to make signs for him and to drive by at noon on the 27th for a birthday parade.
What happened was better than I could have imagined or planned. Click HERE to see!
Here are some ways to throw a special quarantine birthday!
- Decorate your home like you were still hosting a party. Ask friends if they have any leftover party decor, plates and cups or buy some online. I found all these cute party favors and decor on wittybash.com!
- Text friends, family, teachers and neighbors and ask them to drive by your house at the the same time for a birthday parade. Bonus if they make a sign and decorate their car!
- Ask loved ones and friends to mail handwritten cards and drawings to the birthday boy or girl.
- Put candles in the birthday person’s breakfast to start the day off in celebration.
- Let the birthday boy our girl pick out what take-out they want for the day. Waylon chose In-N-Out for lunch and Taco Bell for dinner…. yes we threw out all the healthy eating rules for the day.
- Park your car somewhere beautiful and make the back comfy for a take-out/ picnic or eat on a picnic blanket at home in the living room.
- FaceTime or Zoom call friends to sing happy birthday.
- Hide treats and notes around your house or neighborhood for a birthday scavenger hunt.
- Make a birthday party playlist and have a dance party.
Happy Birthday! Hope you’re hanging in there and staying safe and healthy.