You could call me “the reluctant chef…or cook”, I don’t feel like I could be called a chef yet. You see I married a man that knew how to cook and well at that. Sam wooed me with his skills in the kitchen and over 8+ years together he continues to whip up creations in the kitchen that knock my socks off…..buuuuuuut the side effect of this has been intimidation. I’ve been intimidated when it comes to cooking and that’s something I’m vowing to change.
The inspiration for making this simple croquet madame recipe came from my favorite Nancy Meyers movie “Its Complicated”…if you haven’t seen it you should absolutely make this recipe, pour yourself a glass or rose’ and watch it on a Friday night! Ahhhhh it’s the best. This recipe is a French staple and can usually be made with items you already have in home.
Here’s what you need:
- French Bread
- Gruyère cheese
- Avocado Oil Mayo
- Dijon Mustard
- Sea Salt
- Eggs to top with
Here’s what you have to do:
- Cut the French Bread into thick slices
- Mix equal parts Avocado Oil Mayo and Dijon Mustard in a separate bowl to the taste of your own liking and then spread evenly on the bread.
- Layer 3 slices of ham on top or less depending on how thick you ham slices are.
- Crumple a handful of Gruyere Cheese on top.
- Bake or broil at 400 degrees for 10-15 minutes
- While your sandwiches are baking soft boil your eggs in a sauce pan…this what the first time I have ever soft boiled eggs and I’m happy to say it wasn’t hard at all. Click here for a tutorial on how to soft boil eggs.
- Once your sandwiches are baked gently top with soft boiled egg and top with freshly chopped chives and sprinkle a little salt and pepper on top. E viola’… Simple Croque Madame!
I’m happy to say I knocked everyone’s socks off with this one and you will too!