Last week I took a mini road-trip with my boys using the Roadtrippers app. We headed to a place that holds many memories for me…. San Diego Harbor in Point Loma, my old college town. San Diego is a huge city with charming enclaves; you could visit and explore SD for months and just scratch the surfaces of why it’s named “America’s Finest City”. Our friends at Holiday Inn put us up for a night in one of their beautiful hotels in the San Diego Harbor area. The staff was so helpful as I was traveling alone with both boys and made our stay very enjoyable. Waylon had the best time swimming in the pool, meeting other guests that he called “new friends” and jumping on his own “big bed” in our room. The location of our hotel couldn’t have been better as I was able to walk across the street to the Point Loma harbor for dinner, Better Buzz coffee shop for breakfast, and Liberty Station for pretty much every other need. I actually ended up taking a (much longer than I remember it) run with the boys in my Bumbleride jogging stroller to the Children’s museum and waterfront park in downtown. It was about a 6 mile run so Zeke got a wonderful morning nap out of it and Waylon had fun scoping out all the boats, planes, and fun downtown scenes. There is seriously so much to see here although I highly recommend taking an Uber instead of my over zealous run ha ha! This mini trip was a so fun. I made some amazing memories in this gorgeous place with my boys all in under 48 hours. I’ll never forget shoveling delicious crab cakes into my mouth so fast so the seagulls didn’t get them at Point Loma Sea Food and then running on the grass playing tag with Waylon and Zeke in front of The Holiday Inn. So good, so tiring, so worth it all. Using our Roadtrippers app to find cool places to visit, here are our recommendations for traveling with children in the San Diego Harbor/Downtown area.
- Point Loma Seafood- We walked here around dusk and it was so beautiful walking next to all the boats and Waylon was thoroughly entertained by the fish and fisherman. I had been to Point Loma Seafood once in college but how how I appreciated it so much more now. I ordered the crab cakes and savored every bite and Waylon and Zeke loved the chicken tenders and french fries. We sat outside and I didn’t worry about making a mess at all.
- Liberty Public Market- When I was in college this space still belonged solely to the military but in recent years it has turned into one of the best shopping and food destination in San Diego. You can find any type of food here and buy unique good while letting the kiddos run free among the open spaces, grassy lots, and fun lounge areas.
- Better Buzz Coffee-This coffee shop has good coffee, clean design, really great shakes and scones and was close to our hotel so it was a saving grace for me bright and early in the morning.
- Snack shop in the Harbor (I can’t remember the name but it’s a tiny hole in the wall by all the boats in the harbor and it has ice cream!)
- Moniker General- I walked around this shop with the boys to get home decor inspiration…this place is actually so much more than a shop; its a space for curated home goods, clothing, surf boards, bikes, and beer and coffee…cheers to all that!
- Liberty Public Market- This place provides random goodies, flowers and curated foods, as well as the biggest fish Waylon has ever seen; he thought he was in the aquarium ha ha! Very educational indeed.
- Walk around the harbor and view all the boats and fisherman coming off duty around sunset.
- Moss Landing: Walk the beautiful sea path by the airport that leads you into downtown and by all the historical ships like the Star of India.
- Visit The New Children’s Museum: This place has artistic and creative exhibits for children of all ages to explore, play and create. We could have spent all day here.
- Play at the Waterfront Park by the harbor downtown across from the Hornblower. The fountains and grassy area with the backdrop of the city is fun for all. We met up with some friends here and let the boys run through the fountains and rested in the shade.
- Swim at the Holiday Inn Hotel and take advantage of the shuffle ball and lounge chairs….that is if you’re not running after two kiddos by yourself.
*Good news! Holiday Inn wants to send you on your own epic road trip; enter to win over at mostepicroadtrip.com where you could win the grand prize of 7 nights in a Holiday Inn hotel along with $2000 to fund an amazing adventure for your family.
The Holiday Inn San Diego-Bayside
The Harbor + Point Loma Seafood
Better Buzz Coffee
Moss Landing Walk
The New Children’s Museum
The Waterfront Park
Liberty Public Market
This was a sponsored post for Roadtrippers.com however as in all my posts, all words and thoughts are my own.